Thursday, February 23, 2012

Pizza Pizza


So I've grilled some wings, pork tenderloin with a cayenne and coffee dry rub (That was awesome!  Will definitely do that again and cover it in this blog.) and I've grilled a whole chicken.  
So the in-laws came over this past weekend and I decided I was going to bake some pizzas.  I had heard that the egg is essentially, with a few eggcessories, a brick oven.  All you need is a place setter and a baking stone.  
Despite the rain I began to fill the egg up with natural lump charcoal until it reached the top of the firebox.  We need this baby to get up to 600 degrees.  After about 7 minutes and the coals are lit, place your place setter, legs up on the fire ring. (the place setter that BGE sells is great for this but there are other ways to create a firewall).  This will provide the barrier you will need for indirect cooking.  Without it, your pizza will resemble the charcoal at the bottom of your grill.  Once the place setter is in place lay the cooking grid on top and then a baking or pizza stone on top of that.
Now close the lid and leave the draft door completely open.  Since we are trying to achieve a high temp there is no need to have the daisy wheel on.  (If you prefer to leave it on, just open it all the way.)
Note that it may take some time for the egg to reach its desired temp with all of this "stuff" in there.  
Since you're waiting to get to 600 degrees this is the perfect time to prep your pizza.

Spare time is not a luxury that I have so we purchased some pre made pizza dough from Whole Foods.  Maybe one day I can make my own :(
I used just a tiny bit of tomato sauce and then some fresh basil, sliced tomatoes and fresh buffalo mozzarella. 

By now you should have a temperature around 600 degrees.  Sprinkle a little corn meal on the pizza stone.  This will help keep the dough from sticking to the stone. and then slide that sucker into the egg.  I picked up a wooden paddle that works great for transferring the pizza to and from the egg) and about 6-8 minutes later it should be done.
It was like magic when I lifted the lid and saw this delicious looking pizza sitting my in my egg.


We all agreed that it was one of the best pizzas we've ever eaten.  No need to order out ever again and now my father-in-law wants an egg.


Man 1 - Grill 0

No comments:

Post a Comment