Wednesday, June 20, 2012

A Father's Day Gift.........

....to myself.


Let me start by saying that I'm not a huge scotch drinker.  I prefer the bourbon.
But recently I was introduced to a scotch that left an impression on me.  So much so that when I finally found this brand at a liquor store, I broke down and bought a bottle.
I'm not into really smokey scotch's.  You know, the kind that tastes like it was filtered through a chimney and it seems that the majority of scotch's that I have sampled always followed this pattern.  Now I will be the first to admit that I don't know a lot about scotch and I haven't sampled many of the hundreds of different brands out there, mainly because of the price tag but I do know when I like something.  I like this.  Allow me to introduce you to Edradour.


First a little history. (from wikipedia)
Edradour is a Highland single malt whisky made in Pitlochry, Perthshire, from the distillery of the same name, which is reputed to be the smallest in Scotland.  Established in 1825, the distillery is run by three men. Only twelve casks are produced each week.  This is then laid down to mature for at least 10 years until the whisky reaches the peak quality.  The stills are the smallest in use of any distillery in Scotland. Were they any smaller, they would be deemed by HM Revenue and Customs to be portable, with the implicit capacity for illegal production.  A variety of whiskies are available from the distillery. Most are chill-filtered, a process by which the esters and oils are removed, producing a cleaner look to the whisky, which when chilled or has ice added to it does not turn cloudy.


If you want to know more about the distilling process, checkout their website:
http://www.edradour.co.uk/craftframe.html


For this single malt scotch I prefer to drink it neat, no ice.  And because everyones' palate is different, all I will say is that it has a slight nutty and honey flavor with just a hint of smoke to go with with its wonderful golden hue.

Do yourself a favor and pick up a bottle.......if you can find one.


No comments:

Post a Comment